The chemical compound that has saved more human lives thanany other in history, DDT, was banned by order of one man, thehead of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Publicpressure was generated by one popular book and sustained byfaulty or fraudulent research. Widely believed claims ofcarcinogenicity, toxicity to birds, anti-androgenic properties, andprolonged environmental persistence are false or grossly exaggerated. The worldwide effect of the U.S. ban has beenmillions of preventable deaths.
Fraud in science is a major problem.A 2002 report published by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)on fraud in science in Germany stated that International Scientific Misconduct Rules should punish deliberate or grossly negligent falsification or fabrication of data, and that failure toooperate with investigations will be considered an admission ofguilt. Ombudsmen will be appointed to probe for examples ofisconduct, including falsification, fabrications, selective use ofdata, and mantion of graphs and figures. Upon reading thisarticle, I prepared a 34-page list of frauds published in U.S.scientific journals and sent it to the editor of . Although heresponded courteously, he evidently did not wish to publicize this.
Click here to read more on Scientific Fraud
- powered by SMF environmental science experiments
- powered by myBB environmental science technology journal
- powered by SMF effects of science and technology
- powered by SMF research computer science
- powered by myBB science information
- Powered by Article Dashboard education technology
- powered by myBB biology articles
- powered by SMF scientific journals
- powered by SMF environmental science & technology journal
- powered by SMF water quality association